Tuesday, December 22, 2009

dissertation

I have to write a short dissertation this year which I am actually quite excited about because we get to choose our topics and from the range of interests that I suggested (neuronal development, epilepsy, olfaction & memory) my tutor prompted titles and I have chosen:
Why do Certain Odours Trigger Vivid Memories?
The connection between the sense of smell and immediate teleportation to a different time and place has always absolutely fascinated me so I really can't wait to start researching.

In the meantime, I thought I'd keep a random log of things, as they crop up, whose smells elicit strong memories.

  • Dial soap which reminds me of being a kid in our little bathroom in Kuwait
  • Right now, my brother's freshly painted room which takes me straight back to the first day I slept in my own newly painted room
  • the pages of any Harry Potter book take me back to the days I would sit curled up anywhere reading, reading, reading..
  • Pear Blossom lotion which sets me standing right in the middle of my room at Oxford
  • and Pink Grapefruit lotion sits me down on my rough carpet at home smack in the middle of summer

Anything you guys can think of?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fresh concrete - brings me back to an old house of ours, which we spent most of our time renovating and extending.

tobacco smoke and leather - winters in the states with the parents.

Tooly said...

HA i KNEW your brothers room was a different color and i was gonna ask but i didn't.....
and smells.....anytime its nighttime and really crispy cold outside it reminds me of mammoth.
and i know there's more but my mind is dead right now.