Sunday, November 1, 2009

nanowrimo

I feel like I should attempt NaNoWriMo this year because I've never done it before but I'm not confident in my skills as a writer to be a "novel writer" and being the concise person that I am, none of my ideas go on for more than a couple pages of scribbles. A lot of times I think I have good ideas and then realise I don't have the skill to put them down to paper and make them worth reading, or even worth writing to begin with.

And then I thought of the piece I most recently wrote on the prompt of 'lists' for the New Student Writing Society, which I never got around to finishing. It's about a guy who has spent his entire life sitting in a pretty bare room writing lists of things he'd like to do in his life except he never quite got around to doing them because he was too busy making lists. It's not a very exciting idea and it's just an okay piece, especially since it's not done.

I thought I could probably elaborate on it by making him embark on a grand plan to actually complete all his lists and fulfill his life dreams but that just sounds lame. Also, I don't know how I would go about doing that. So I was thinking, what if I asked people to write lists that the main character has "written" and hand them over to me as inspiration. Or maybe I could invite my friends who are writers to write a short about a list and his completion of said list. Or non-completion. Attempt at completion. And then compile them all together in a however many chapter novella as a little collection.

Dunno though. I've never attempted anything more epic than 5 paragraphs as I find that's what I'm best at -- short moments captured in quick simple words, like written photographs, because I'm more of a visual person as it is. But in the end, maybe it's just that I'm not interested or motivated enough to write a novel. It's never been one of my life goals or anything. Hmmm.

Questions? Suggestions? Protests? Answers? Those would be helpful.

2 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

NaNoWriMo scares me. If I didn't finish, I'd hate myself, and I promised myself to not do things out of fear, but..I just don't want to have half a novel on November 30th because I am so busy I never got around to seriously writing anything.

However, as a hobby, I LOVE writing. Finishing has never been a strong suit...I am attempting to embrace the short story. I'm the same way-short bursts of inspiration, nothing too prolonged. Maybe we should look for prompts and be creative and hold each other accountable? I'd be down.

Anonymous said...

I started writing a response to your email with this in it, but then I started a story instead. And then I had to stop, because I need to push any and all juice into this nanowrimo thing, which is scary but wonderful and which you should totally do.
So I'll reply in like two/three weeks, alright?

Such love,
Liam