Thursday, March 12, 2009

new student writing society

One of my friends from the occupation was talking to me about this writing society that he and a few of his friends had started up. Being interested in writing and the like, I asked if I could come by. Of course I could. 

They have workshops every Tuesday where we share pieces we've written about a prompt they give. I've yet to write something based on any of their prompts but there's still time. Some of the people are absolutely amazing writers. They're simply incredible. I just love listening to them every week. A lot of them, as literature students, are very technical when it comes to poetry and writing. I thought that would be kind of annoying to deal with but they are just insanely good. I could never write something that good in such a structured format. 

Last night, the society had its launch party in a little bar room downstairs in Fallowfield. It was basically just an open mic night, where people went up and read their pieces or other people's pieces. There were little writing activities all around the little tables too. 

I wasn't expecting too much from this night but it turned out to be absolutely fantastic. There was such a good atmosphere, with everyone reading such great pieces of all different genres and performances. It was just amazing. I had dragged Becca and Anisah with me too and then we found that some of our friends from the occupation were there too which created a nice little reunion. 

After I'd built up the courage, I went up and read a couple pieces too (one of them being 'Kindergarten' which was published in our FSHA litmag, if anyone recalls and another which I had written right there and then which I can't find right now and am wondering where I put it...). I was shaking nervously throughout but I'm glad I went up because I got to pick a book from a little stack of "prizes" and I got a Virginia Woolf book. Just before coming, I'd been thinking, if I go up to read and get to pick a book, I really hope there's a Virginia Woolf one. And there was! Yay. And on my way back to my seat, I was being cheered and applauded. Several people even reached out patted me on the arm and such, which was so awesome because these people were the ones who I admired, hearing them read their pieces. It just put a smile on my face that nothing could diminish all night. 

It was just such a good night. I wish you all could have been there. And it's a whole new society through which I can meet more amazing people and I'm just so happy I'm part of it. 

***



No comments: