I was so excited to wake up on Monday morning, my first day of lectures, and find this view out my window:
It snowed! And it stuck! It's been snowing many times for the last few days but never once did the snow stick because the ground was always wet. But, look! Real white fluffy glorious snow! Sure, I've seen snow before. I've gone skiing and snowboarding and all that. But to watch it fall all night and then wake up to this -- cliché warning -- winter wonderland was beyond anything I'd ever experienced, snow-wise. It was the most perfect start to this semester's lectures.
I, of course, grabbed my camera on the way out to my 9am Excitable Cells lecture and took pictures the whole way there.
Everything looks so much better blanketed in soft crystals of snow. The world could not be ugly that day. I love snow. I was like a five-year-old child on crack in the snow, but I just couldn't help it.
Becca immediately went for the snowball attack as our friends rounded the corner, while I continued photographing because I was in a daze of awe.
Once we finally made it past Gabs' gates, we found the picturesque scene of Whitworth Park across the road (aka Rapist Park at night -- we've braved it a couple times now during the day so it's not as daunting).
Right in the entrance of the park was a little snowdeer which I ran towards, instinctively. Like it was my long lost mother or something. I seriously am approximately three years old.


As we walked on, we saw all the roofs (rooves?) daintily covered in untouched snow, glinting in the rising sun's golden light. How's that for a melodramatic poetic description?
I seriously could not stop smiling the entire walk to class. We were practically skipping.
When we finally got to class, we found a very amiable professor who I took a liking to from the very start when he announced that he didn't really like waking up for 9am lectures on Monday so he'd rather we all came in at 9.15. I think after he said that, there was a short hesitation of silence, expressing our disbelief before we all erupted in woos, cheers and clapping -- one guy near us even yelled "I LOVE YOU." Then the prof continued with a short intro lecture that lasted 15 minutes. FIFTEEN MINUTES. Meaning we were out of that lecture theatre by 20 past the hour. Which of course then called for a snowball fight. Which ensued on the small lawn of grass right outside the building. Which was awesome. And technically, my first proper snowball fight.
And I continued to take pretty pictures of pretty things covered in pretty snow.
(Hogwarts, anyone?)
On the walk back, the low sun (Did you know the sun doesn't fully rise during winter? I don't recall this happening in Los Angeles. It still befuddles me.) lit up the background of the scenery on our walk home. It was so so so beautiful.
When we made it back to Gabs, it had started snowing again so we continued our snowball fight and attempted to make a snowwoman, which turned into a giant pathetic pile of snow. All during this, the builders on the construction site right next door were chucking freaking CANNONBALLS of snow from the rooftop! It was ridiculous. They were hitting the ground like bombs coming out of nowhere. Creeper.
(This is Maryam attacking me, by the way. She's a nice girl, really.)
Then Becca and I made our way to the netball court round back where we found what seemed like acres and acres of untrodden inches of snow.
So we trodded on it ourselves.
We then ran upstairs to the top floor to see our masterpiece in it's entirety.
It's glorious. And it lasted pretty much the entire day so whenever anyone on that side of Gabs looked out the window, all they saw was NOOR HI BECCA! written in snow. Because we're awesome.

I love winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment