Not everyone was great but all were entertaining. Particularly the emcee, whose horrendous jokes got progressively better as he got drunker throughout the night. There was a belly dancer who had giant shiny wings and a gaping belly button that was mesmerizing, a Palestinian-Iraqi rapper who goes by the name of Psycho Mo and is not a motherf***ing gangsta (his words, not mine. (and his censorship, not mine.)), and a comedian who I really just felt sorry for. Then there were the Hobos who weren't actually called the Hobos but they looked it and we are big fans of naming people things they are not.
After the show, we ended up walking out in front of them and I turned around to say something to one of my friends only to find the Hobos and since I was walking backwards, I was staggering a bit but I still found it prudent to yell, "HEY! We voted for you! And I'm not drunk, I promise." They just kind of looked at me funny and then said something about trying for three years and getting nowhere. How sad.
The best two acts were an Irish guitarist named Eoin (pronounced Owen) and a duo that went by the Meadow Larks, one of whom is my friend Bernard. Who is made of awesome. Eoin and the Meadow Larks made it to the next round, the Finals, which took place tonight on Bonfire Night.
Sadly, neither of them won but they did get to the top 3 (Eoin, third, Meadow Larks, second)! This is a video compilation of both their semi-final and finals performances, with a Chinese instrument player in between. Might I add that the Chinese guy introduced himself thusly: "This is called a [insert name of instrument]. It's from China. My name's Geoffrey and I'm from China too."
Ah, I love people.
Eoin is the solo guitarist and Bernard is the dark-haired guy in the duo (not the redhead, who is also awesome and named Kieran).
No comments:
Post a Comment